Croydon Council have allowed us to extend our stay on the old Taberner House site to allow for a second Saffron harvest this autumn.
We gave away around 8,000 plants in January which means there are over 10,000 still on site. Having checked a number of pots, it seems the corms have multiplied by around 5 so we may have in the region of 50,000 on site!!
We plan to repot them on Saturday 17th September from 10am-6pm but before this we will need to make some preparations on the site on the previous weekend.
Saturday 10th & Sunday 11th September – PREPARATION OF CORMS & SITE
- Weeding out wild plants
- Separating corms & grading by size
- Refilling soil sacks
- Some construction changes to site
Volunteers welcome but it is essential that all are inducted into safety regulations and that this is respected over the weekend. There will be a certain element of complexity to these tasks so please confirm attendance in advance.
Saturday 17th September – THE BIG REPOT
- Repotting the corms of Croydon Saffron Central
- Plant pot donations welcome
- Water based paints (especially white, red, blue, black & yellow) donations
- Paint brush donations (all sizes)
- Wearing marigolds & bringing trowels would be useful
WARNING – Croydon Saffron Central contains 2 beehives so please be aware that there are many bees on site.
Please contact Ally McKinlay for further details via this website.